Really enjoying it!
  • I just played about an hour of the Alpha, and it's great. I played so much SM2 that the feel of the swinging is just branded into my mind and my fingers, so the hardest part of this was adjusting to the feel of swinging with mouse and keyboard (I'll try and get it working with a controller a bit later, but it wasn't recognising my 360 controller). It only took a few minutes of clumsy swinging and jumping before I started getting it, though. I can't quite land my character on a pinpoint like I could with Spidey, but I think it'll happen. Some notes:

- At first I was really missing the web zip from SM2. I didn't realise how much I used to rely on it until I found myself juuuuust missing rooftops in Energy Hook. But after a little while I started really liking the way the jet boosts work here. It's like Spidey's swing boost from SM2, only you don't have to be swinging to use it, and I like that you can kind of do those huge sprint jumps by holding jump and boost. The only problem I have is that the boosts only seem to work intermittently, and they're never there when I need them the most. Are they governed by some kind of bar or meter that isn't showing in the UI?

- Are the laser-beam-y things that determine where you're going to hook your web to the way it worked behind the scenes in SM2 (with invisible beams, I assume)? It's really nice to get some visual feedback on that stuff, because there were always those moments in SM2 where you'd be waiting and waiting and waiting for Spidey to web something :P.

- I'm surprised at how well it runs for an Alpha. I have a 670GTX, i5 3570k and 8GB of RAM, and I'm running it at 1920x1200 on Beautiful graphics, and I'm getting 60FPS most of the times with minor drops when I really pick up some speed. I haven't run into any glitches or bugs yet, either.

I keep wishing I could walljump and wallrun and stuff and having to remind myself that this game's only in Alpha, so I won't complain about those things yet :P. I just wanted to say that I really love your stuff, Jamie. It's hard to explain, but I've always been drawn to games with some kind of interesting form of transportation in them, the kinds of game mechanics you don't come across very often, so I've ended up playing a lot of superhero games. I've put dozens and dozens of hours into games like Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, Infamous and the Batman Arkham games, and even ones like Vanquish and Bayonetta where it feels like the designers just got the character control feeling so perfect. I think you have a real knack for those sorts of things. Even the little stuff like the level of air control you have in Energy Hook just feels right. I can't wait to see how it all comes along.

Boy, that was more than I'd planned to write :P
  • Thanks so much! Warms my heart. I was actually never a superfan of the web-zip, but I did feel that boost+jump kind of scratched that itch anyway, like you said.

It does seem like you're missing the UI, like most other people. Why it works on my machine and not other people's I don't yet know. (There is a meter there governing your boost.)

And wait - you can't wallrun?

(You can also walljump straight up but don't yet have that off-the-wall jump...)
  • wall-run is right-click. You can see the UI if you enable the Oculus mode.
    While we're posting first impressions, I miss the web-zip as well, but it's not necessary with the jump pack as you said. I'd just be nice to be able to use my beam on things below me, maybe some way to go into first person and shoot a grapple beam to something, rather than always just auto-selecting a point, might be good for some difficult jumps or something.

I also made a video. It looks pretty enough to watch somebody who's good playing it IMO.
  • Ah, that was me not reading the controls before I played it.

I just played in Oculus mode for a while and it really helps to have those energy meters on screen, obviously. I actually didn't know there were more levels than that first one. Although, even in Oculus mode I don't get the UI showing up on the second level or in any of those floating platform challenges.

By the way, I really love those floating challenges. Reminds me of that Mirror's Edge DLC. It's great to have those specific goals to put my skills to the test.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook